Saturday, December 29, 2007

(W)Ringing Out the Years' Memories


Album: The Connells, Ring, 1993

Acquired: My sister Clair sent this tape to me as a gift in 1994. It just arrived in the mail one day, not for a birthday or anything. That was cool, and it wasn't the last time she would be so thoughtful. I don't give gifts spontaneously. If you want me to start doing so, prepare to be disappointed.

I'm plenty generous, and I definitely know exactly what is good for you to get. What I am not is a shopper or someone who "was just thinking of you." No offense. I just tend to think about nothing except when I absolutely have to.

Best Track: " '74-'75"

Lasting Memory: This album doesn't evoke memories for me. Rather, it plunges me into sad reverie. Watch the video for " '74-'75" linked below, and you'll understand what I mean.

Also check these lyrics from that tune:

Got no reason for coming to me and the rain running down
There's no reason
And the same voice coming to me like it's all slowing down
And believe me

I was the one who let you know I was your sorry-ever-after
'74-'75
Give any more and I'll defy
'Cause you're really only after '74-'75

If sound had a color, this whole album would be sepia fading to grey. There are the recollections good times when you were "Slackjawed" to realize that the girl of your dreams also liked you enough to stick around. There are the where-did-that-come-from flashes of regret for having "Disappointed" that woman. Then there are the ultimately futile attempts to get back to the better days by becoming a "New Boy":

Sometimes I get the feeling things won't fall apart
Sometimes I think it's gone too far
Sometimes I get the feeling things seem pretty nice
Then again sometimes, I'd like to leave you twice

Once we decide upon it
We won't fall apart
This time I think it's gone too far
And you get where you can't decide
Don't ask any other
And you get where you can't decide

Didn't I say "sorry"?
Didn't I say "dear"?
Didn't I consider
Didn't I stand clear
Didn't you say, "New boy, get down on your knees."
Didn't I say, "Trying, I'm trying, I'm trying."
But, in the end, there will always be the unanswered questions about why she left anyway, a la "Running Mary":

I was running Mary
And the days were growing long
And I was minding mine
I was doing nothing wrong

And the news you sent me
And the bar's upon the door
And this one caught me blind
Couldn't stop me anymore

Tell me how much do I forgive
'Cause you laid one in on me
But I'm all right
Tell me how much ... this goes on and on

I was running barely
And it's hard to face me more
And I was minding mine
And doing nothing more
It's about to start raining here in Virginia Beach, and temps will soon be plummeting from around 70 to the mid-30s. A new year is about to start, which seems more like 365 days to create new bittersweet memories than anything else. I think I'll listen to Ring again.

Watch the " '74-'75" video

Up Next: Robert Cray, Strong Persuader, 1986

P.S. The above heartache was laid bare for entertainment purposes only. Who am I? This guy?

2 comments:

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

I didn't realize I should have sent you a bottle of Prozac along with the tape...

Unknown said...

somehow i think the bogart image works well with much of the connell's ouvre. (to the extent one can use fancy french terms to refer to mothballed cassette tapes, that is).