Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Time to Get a Little Exercise

... of my franchise, that is.

It's good to once again be living in a place where I can convince myself that my vote sort of counts. And it's great to have some folks I can be proud to support.

I rarely went to the polls during my 9 years in D.C. because there was really never anything worth voting for (10 candidates for a 9-member city council? I'll pass) or no way my vote would have made a difference (Bush over Gore for the District's 3 Electoral College votes? Good luck with that. And 3! Sheesh). Plus, I couldn't vote in good conscience for either Bush or Kerry in 2004.



Now, I just want to shout

I GOT THE FRANCHISE
YES,I DO
I GOT THE FRANCHISE
HOW 'BOUT YOU?!

Since that would just be silly, and I would never type anything like that, let alone say it, I will instead offer this hamfisted parodic analysis of today's Crabcake Primary:

A Primary Tonight
(Sung to "A Comedy Tonight")

Something familiar
Something peculiar
Something for everyone
A primary tonight!

Something appealing
Something appalling
Something for everyone
A comedy tonight!

Nothing with kings, nothing with crowns
Kick out the lovers, liars, and clowns

Old situations, new complications
Nothing portentous or polite
Conventions tomorrow
Primary tonight!

Okay, so maybe it's not exactly rocking the vote, but it sure beats the hell out of watching Lou Dobbs.

5 comments:

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Yes! Go forth and vote!

Did James vote before he left town?

Ed Lamb said...

I doubt it. And I also suspect it would make Thomas Jefferson cry if I asked. The sanctity of the secret ballot and all that.

I do know that I'll be voting twice against Hillary just in case.

JIM LAMB said...

You can't vote twice against Hillary. You can only vote twice FOR Hillary. The Heavily Democratic city precints in Virginia always wait until late at night to report to see if they can stuff in enough extra votes to swing the election. How that will work in this primary remains to be seen.

It has been many years since I voted FOR any one in primaries or general elections. I am always choosing the least objectional candidate. Someone will be in office and I want it to be the one who is the smallest threat to my life, liberty and property.

That isn't any democrat.

Ed Lamb said...

You know, Dad, e coming into your house to steal your bric-a-brac. Clinton might, but I feel pretty safe with giving Obama the keys to America's truck.

If the primary plays out the way things are looking like they will, I'll probably wind up voting for McCain come November anyway. So don't disown me for being a commie just yet.

Anonymous said...

"but it sure beats the hell out of watching Lou Dobbs."

Then again, so does repeatedly stabbing oneself in the eye with a fork, so that's not saying much.