Tuesday, May 27, 2008

wORKING Musicians Work


Album: fIREHOSE, fROMOHIO, 1989

Best Track: "In My Mind"

Lasting Memory: I went to a fIREHOSE show in blacksburg in the spring of 1990. The venue was horrible, only about 20 people were in the audience, and the band played for almost three hours, giving it everything they had, like they were The Who at Leeds. I don't see enough live music anymore.

That's beside the point of this post, which is that love a band or hate a band, you should always be willing to respect honest effort. The fact that I liked fIREHOSE going into the gig at what was just an empty storefront with no stage in a strip mall that belonged to Virginia Tech helped me enjoy the show that particular evening, but I would have given hats off even if I had disliked the lads from just north of San Diego.

I'm posting short today because I'm back to putting in honest efforts of my own. I had my first complete weekend off from professional responsibilities in more than five months this past Saturday and Sunday and spent time hanging with family and very determinedly not turning on my computer. Felt good, but all play and no work make Ed a slack boy.

Very apt to the tangential threads poorly connected so far, and even fitting in with the Memorial Day vibe of this week, I sign off with "Riddle of the Eighties":
Yonder
Onward
Way beyond Navy housing--
The U.S.S. Townsend
Haunting me ...

Up Next: Galaxie 500, Today, 1991

No comments: