Friday, August 15, 2008

Beer in the Soda Machine

Preface: My previous two posts have drawn objections from my sister, Clair. This can mean only one thing: I'm not being offensive enough. I mean, c'mon! I've flatly stated that some relatives of mine couldn't be photographed because they had outstanding warrants. I've all but stated that all female singers of the past century have been less talented than all male singers. What do I have to do get a rise out of the rest of you people!? It's like I'm just typing for my own amusement, here, and no one else's.

Oh, wait ...

Thanks for stopping by. Pull up a cursor. Can I get you a link? There'll be plenty.


Album: Indigo Girls, Nomads, Indians, Saints, 1990

Best Track: "1 2 3"

Lasting Memory: I have always associated the second best song on Nomads, Indians, Saints, "Hammer and a Nail," with the Muppets. This is a compliment, and I am not alone in making this mental link. Who doesn't like the Muppets? Commies, that's who. Commies like Amy Ray and Emily Saliers, who are the, um, Indigo Girls.

That's me being unfair, again. I'm sure the Indigo Girls like most of the Muppets and only really loathe Sam the Eagle because he is a God-fearing American.

NIM is a much more enjoyable, and a much more lyrically and sonically accomplished, collection
of songs than the Indigo Girls' debut. As proof of this, I offer "1 2 3." The womyn can't quite get away from their sophomoric self-seriousness, though, as "Pushing the Needle too Far" shows.

All in all, listening to NIM was quite a pleasant surprise. I even dug some of the slower, Sapphic rock stuff like "The Girl With the Weight of the World in Her Hands."

This, and the fact that the cassette for Social Distortion was the one that had been in the NIM box, is what prompted me to title this post with a lyric from a Ramones song:

Everybody was cranky
Even the maids were mean
We ran into a miracle
There was beer in the soda machine

So try every soda machine, metaphorically. It's what Sam would want you to do. It's The American Way.

Up Next: Jethro Tull, M.U.--The Best of Jethro Tull, 1972-1975 (cassette reissue)

No comments: