Friday, November 28, 2008

Do Wolverhampton Houses Have Garages?


Album: Mighty Lemon Drops, Out of Hand, 1987

Best Track: "My Biggest Thrill (Live)"

Lasting Memory: I taped this album from my sisters friend Nancy during the summer of 1989, when I was working as a lot attendant (read: carwasher) at Nancy's father's rental-car lot.
That was a tough summer, during which I also became super serious about working out. I dropped between 50 and 60 pounds in a little over two months, between the working outside for 9 hours a day, 6 days a week and then spending 2 hours in the weight room for 4 or 5 evenings each week.

What ever became of that Ed kid who could pull of that kind of schedule?

Rhetorical question: He realized he liked having beers more than not having beers, and he also aged 20 years.

It happens. Even to the likes of you. Don't judge me.

It also happens that good bands and their songs get lost to time, which is what became of the Mighty Lemon Drops. But much like Randall with a certain term, I'm bring them back.

Out of Hand isn't as good as the Mighty Lemon Drops' World Without End, which I praised in my previous post, but Out of Hand is pretty good. Rawer, more garage band-y than its immediate follow-up, Out of Hand opens with a strong title track and keeps right on rocking with slightly psychedelia overtones through the closing song, "The Other Side of You (Live)."

I particularly like the song "My Biggest Thrill (Live)" because it, in 1987, promised exactly what the Mighty Lemon Drops delivered in 1998 on pretty much all of World Without End -- power pop of the purest kind, which can only be produced in garages by late-teen and early-twenties musicians who are too naive to understand that they can't really change the world by causing a few asses to shake.

Which raises the question, "Do houses in the city of Wolverhampton, England, where the Mighty Lemon Drops formed, have garages?" Apparently not, judging by the picture of the Wolverhampton townhouse development to the right. So good show by the lads for never saying, "Count Me Out" when confronted with this muse-denying limitation.

Up Next: Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper, Bo-Day-Shush!!!, 1987

No comments: