Sunday, November 2, 2008

In the Long Tradition of Traditionalism


Album: The Long Ryders, 10-5-60, 1983

Best Track: "10-5-60"

Lasting Memory: My strongest memory of the Long Ryders is that the band did one in a series of Miller beer ads in the mid-1980s. The theme of the ads, as I also mentioned way back when I posted unenthusiastically about the Del Feugos, was that Miller was American beer suitable for Americans who enjoyed American music.

Boy howdy, are the five songs on the 10-5-60 EP American music. Each is an equal blend of honky tonk, psychedelic folk (think: late-period Byrds), and garage rock. The title track shows how this can work in a revved-up format, while the charming love song "Born to Believe in You" shows how blending these styles can work in a slower format.

I don't have much else to say about this band or album, but as roots rockers went, the Long Ryders were just about the rootsiest.

The vocals of lead Ryder Sid Griffin may be a bit of an acquired taste, but it appeals to me and fits the material very well. For me, there are few things that sound better than a cracking voice over a moaning steel guitar line. Feel free to disagree, which will just mean more of that stuff for me.

Up Next: Los Lobos, How Will the Wolf Survive?, 1984

No comments: