Monday, January 5, 2009

Living in the Future Tense


It is the fifth day of 2009, which probably doesn't merit a blog post, but I'll give it special attention because it is friggin' 2009.

How futuristic does "2009" sound? Very. To me anyway.

Everyone must have at least one moment in their lives when they look up and say, "How did it get to be XXXX year?! That was so far away."

I had my chronological wake up call today, and it was almost certainly overdue.

So what to do when the time starts to pass like it does in cartoons where the calendar pages fall off the wall -- slow at first, then with increasing speed. This isn't a midlife crisis sort of thing. For starters I'm too young to be middle-aged. Also, there's not much about how I'm living I would change even if I could.

It's more of a "here have all the days gotten to" sort of moment. I've been think that over this morning, but I have no deep insights beyond "time keeps on slippin' into the future" and wondering if I would recognize "the future" if I ever saw it.

I doubt I would because everyday I get out bed is "today." I can makes plans for the future, but once the days come on which I have something planned, those days are inevitably more todays, soon to be a yesterdays.

I know this about as profound as something a high school freshman would say when getting high for the first time. I also know that sharing my sophomoric philosophy with you has helped me get these thoughts out of my head and into yours.

You're welcome.

The last thing I know is that if I ever do get to future, I want a jetpack.

No comments: