Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What Gives You Nothing Like Your Selfish Television Throwing Things


Album: Ned's Atomic Dustbin, God Fodder, 1991

Best Track: Pick 'em

Lasting Memory: I've owned this cassette since pretty much the day it was released in 1991, but I never realized until this morning that the title God Fodder is a rather poor homophonous pun. Sound it out for yourelf if you want a good groan.

I also learned that homophonous is a real word.

Let's score that a push, with a loss on the pun and a win for learning a very cool word.

I'll score this album a push as well, with two red exes for having a dumb title and being made by a band with an even dumber band name, and two green check marks for being packed with songs that are both rocking and fun.

There's little difference among "Kill Your Television," "Gray Cell Green," "Throwing Things," and "Until You Find Out." There's also a lot to like about that sound, which, according to an unofficial Wikipedia entry is "Grebo" -- " a blend of garage rock, the more alternative forms of rock, pop, hip-hop, and electronica." Fair enough.

The upshot is that if my God Fodder cassette were an old-school vinyl record, I could drop the stylus anywhere and have a good listen for the exact same reason. What I'll term "equiphonism" probably isn't great art, but it's good enough for rock 'n' roll.

Up Next: Ivan Neville, If My Ancestors Could See Me Now, 1988

2 comments:

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Wow, that was '91? I saw those guys at an HFStival, but I don't remember the year. That was a long time ago, already...

Ed Lamb said...

See what I was on about in my post?