Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Like Flies to a Hot Tin Roof


Against my better judgment, I stayed up well past what has become my accustomed bedtime last night to watch the town hall debate between Barack Obama and John McCain.

While I received little reward for my heavy-lidded attentiveness to the machinations of the American presidential politics, I did hear one thing that nearly caused me to change my decision to vote for Obama come November 4.

At the 60-minute mark of the debate, following up to a follow-up response to an initial question about how America and its armed forces can serve as peacemakers around the world, Obama said this:


Now, Sen. McCain suggests that somehow, you know, I'm green behind the ears and, you know, I'm just spouting off, and he's somber and responsible.

Huh?

What?

Say again?

"Green behind the ears," really?

It bothers me when people mangle colloquial expressions. It absolutely kills me when people who would never normally utter such an expression do so in a transparent attempt to appear folksy and wind up mangling the colloquialism.

The very idea makes me swimming mad. I see blue. I juast want to tear my hair into next week.

And last night, Obama's verbal gaffe almost got me to throw the baby's bathwater into the ring.

---------

On a separate note, I had an actual real, live political candidate come to my door Monday evening. I don't know if he knocked, though, because I surprised the guy when I was getting back from walking the dog.

The candidate was obviously surprised to see me loom around the corner with Molly, but he recovered well by going into a spiel about he loved dogs and how his daughter's dog had been stolen last years.

'So you're running on a very strong anti-dognapping platform?" I asked.

"It's not on my flier, but maybe it should be," he said.

That guy just might get my vote for city council.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure if he adds anti-dognapping to his platform, you're morally obligated to vote for him.