Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Writing the Book of My Last Pages


Album: Let's Active, Big Plans for Everybody, 1986

Best Track: "Fell"

Lasting Memory: I'll probably most remember this album for rediscovering the song "Writing the Book of Last Pages" this very morning. It captures what I'm feeling right now: "LAST PAGE! Woo! I mean ... woo!"

Last week, right through the weekend, was quite a blur for me, as I pretty much adopted the Edisonian practice of napping, working, repeat around the clock for days in a row. I made my deadlines, and I haven't yet heard from any clients that I made too much of a hash of anything. Keep your fingers crossed.

I can definitely understand how Thomas Edison managed to be so creative. A man can get some strange ideas on whether a comma should go there at 1 a.m.

I can also confidently nominate Big Plans for Everybody as 1980s alternative music's sine qua non. Or its mirror.

I can't decide whether Let's Active started every trend of the time -- from looped, bell-like guitar riffs to quiet-loud dynamics -- or just syncreatized those ear-catching attributes into a song as great as "Fell" (which I can't find a dedicated link for).

It probably doesn't matter whether Let's Active were forebears, peers, or followers. What does matter is that the band produced an excellent template/revue of what was the greatest payoff for paying attention to music during Reagan's second term. Listen for yourself by clicking through the song samples here.

Up Next: The Lightning Seeds, Cloudcuckooland, 1990

P.S. A big shoutout to my brother, James, who had back surgery last week. The procedure went well, and he's recovering apace.

P.P.S. A big Bronx cheer, possibly, for my brother James who insisted yesterday that I needed to join Facebook. His argument was that having a profile on the site is a great way to keep up with friends and family without having to put the effort in writing a blog post, composing an e-mail, or picking up a phone. I might find these points persuasive except for one fact: Facebook.

The very idea of a social networking site offends my mild misanthropy. And that doesn't even bring into the discussion what being on Facebook would do to my chances of ever forming and leading a band of rabidly apathetic hermits.

Still, I'll put the proposal to a vote of the readership. Should I join Facebook? Elaborations on yes and no votes will be appreciated. As always, the final decision will rest with the Florida Election Commissions and President of Zimbabwe Robert Mugabe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is what you make it ed. Facebook will only be good if you want it to be.
James

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of facebook. You don't have to participate, you can just see what everyone else is doing.

Sort of what will happen if Obama wins.

Kathy

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Yes, join Facebook. Witty status updates are way less effort than a daily blog.